New methods of high-energy particle beams manipulation
An effect of multiple volume reflection of high-energy particles by bended plances of a single crystal was predicted, discovered and studied theoretically in detail and in experiment jointly with the group from University of Ferrara (Italy) and Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN).
The experiments on collimation of high energy particles, which were carried out in CERN, were quantitatively interpreted. Absolutely new collimation methods were proposed, which are a basis for modernisation of Large Hadron Collider.
Scientific leader — Prof. V.V. Tikhomirov
1. V.V. Tikhomirov. A technique to improve crystal channeling efficiency of charged particles. JINST 2 P08006, doi:10.1088/1748-0221/2/08/P08006.
2. V.V. Tikhomirov. Multiple Volume Reflection from Different Planes Inside One Bent Crystal // Phys. Lett. B. 2007. V. 655. N. 5-6. P. 217-222. arXiv:0705.4206.
3. V.V. Tikhomirov. A narrow plane cut near the crystal surface increases the probability of capture into the stable channelling motion up to 99 percent arXiv:0703085.
4. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari and V.V. Tikhomirov, Increase in probability of ion capture into the planar channelling regime by a buried oxide layer. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42, N. 16, 2009. 165301 (6pp) doi: 10.1088/0022-3727/42/16/165301.
5. W. Scandale, … V.V.Tikhomirov, First observation of multiple volume reflection by different planes in one bent silicon crystal for high-energy protons // Phys. Lett. B. 2009. V. 682. N. 3 P. 274-277. DOI: 10.1016/J.PHYSLETB.2009.11.026
6. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, and V.V. Tikhomirov. On the Observation of Multiple Volume Reflection from Different Planes Inside One Bent Crystal // J. Appl. Phys. 2010. Vol. 107. Issue 11. 114908 8 p. DOI: 10.1063/1.3407526.
7. V.V. Tikhomirov, On the Circular Polarization of Positrons Moving in Channeling Conditions in Bent Crystal at Small Angles with Respect to Atomic Strings. Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems. V. 13:4. 2010. 409-415.
8. W. Scandale, … V.V.Tikhomirov, Observation of multiple volume reflection by different planes in one bent silicon crystal for high-energy negative particles. EPL. 2011. V. 93. P. 56002-p1 – 56002-p4.
9. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov How to make coherent bremsstrahlung circularly polarized. Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011) DOI: 10.1393/ncc/i2011-10929-3.
10. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov Electromagnetic radiation accompanying multiple volume reflection in one crystal. Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011)63. DOI: 10.1393/ncc/i2011-10952-4.
11. V. Guidi, A. Mazzolari, V. V. Tikhomirov New approaches to the crystal collimation. Nuovo Cimento C. 34(4)(2011)399. DOI: 10.1393/ncc/i2011-10954-2.
12. Tikhomirov, V.V. Sytov, A.I. To the positive miscut influence on the crystal collimation efficiency. e-Print: arXiv:1109.5051
13. V. Tikhomirov, A. Sytov. To the positive miscut influence on the crystal collimation efficiency . "VANT" journal - "Problems of Atomic Science and Technology". Series: Nuclear Physics Investigations. 2012, N1, p.88-92.